Although the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007 allows even childless senior citizens to claim maintenance from other relatives, Section 125 CrPC does not give such rights to childless senior citizens.

Maintenance after death

Last updated on Apr 8, 2022

The duty to maintain parents exists even after the death of your child or legal heir. Upon an application, the court may order that a portion of the child or legal heir’s wealth and assets be given to you, if you are old and infirm. The amount of maintenance in such cases will be calculated as per the rules of inheritance applicable after the death of your child or legal heir. The amount due to you will be decided by a court after considering a number of factors such as:

  • Full value of assets of the child or legal heir after paying off their debts including any income from their property,
  • Provisions of their will (if any),
  • Nature and closeness of the relationship with you,
  • Your needs and requirements (reasonably calculated), or
  • The number of people dependent on them for maintenance.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Children taking care of Parents

Indian law requires all persons to maintain and support their parents - biological, step-parents as well as adoptive.

Claiming Maintenance from Tribunal for Senior Citizens

You can file an application in a Maintenance Tribunal under the Maintenance And Welfare Of Parents And Senior Citizens Act, 2007.

Maintenance under Hindu Law

Hindu, Buddhist, Jain or Sikh parents who are aged or infirmed can seek maintenance from their grown children under Hindu law.

Amount of Maintenance for Parents

There is no standard amount of money awarded as maintenance for parents. It is decided on a case-by-case basis.

Maintenance under the Code of Criminal Procedure

A person who refuses to maintain parents who are unable to maintain themselves can be ordered to give a monthly allowance for maintenance.

Punishment for Abandoning and Neglecting Senior Citizen

If you leave a senior citizen at some place with the intention of abandoning them and not taking care of them, you can be punished.