Notice after a cheque has bounced

Last updated on Jun 1, 2022

Sending a notice after a cheque has bounced.

Punishing the Issuer of the Cheque

Send a demand notice

If a cheque that you’ve received as payment has bounced, you must first send a notice to the issuer of the cheque to pay the amount that was due, along with the cheque return memo that you have received from the bank. This is known as demand notice. This demand notice must be sent within 30 days of the cheque bouncing.

Drawer has to pay

The drawer will have 15 days from the date of receiving the notice to pay you the money.

Filing a Case

Drawer replies and pays the money

In such a situation, then there is no need to file a case, as you have received the money.

Drawer replies but does not pay the money

Where the drawer replies but does not pay the money, then upon the completion 15 day period, you have 30 days to file a criminal complaint in court.

Drawer does not reply, does not pay the money

Where the drawer does not reply and does not pay the money, then upon the completion 15 day period, you have 30 days to file a criminal complaint in court.

Recovering the Money

Once your cheque has bounced, you have 3 years to file a civil case to recover the money that is due to you. Please contact a legal professional to know more about the civil procedure.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Encash a cheque

Process of encashing a cheque depends on whether it is a bearer cheque or order cheque. There are multiple modes for the same.

Endorsing cheques

By endorsing the payee can use the same order cheque to pay to someone else by writing that person’s name behind the cheque and signing it.

Cheque Bouncing

A cheque is said to have been ‘bounced’ or ‘dishonoured‘ is when it is deposited or presented for payment but could not be encashed by the holder of the cheque.

Order Cheque

An order cheque is a cheque where only the person or party in whose name the cheque has been drawn, can withdraw the cash.

Cheque Truncation System

Cheque truncation is a form of cheque clearing system. It digitises a physical paper cheque into a substitute electronic form.

Crossed Cheque

Crossing a cheque means that it cannot be transferred to anyone else. These cheques can only be credited to the payee’s account.