Punishment for Cheque Bouncing Cases

Last updated on Jun 1, 2022

Cheque bouncing is both a civil and criminal offence. You can file a civil suit to recover your money as well a criminal complaint to punish the person for bouncing your cheque. The proceedings for both will happen in two different cases. You can choose to file only one case or you can file these cases simultaneously.

In a civil suit, the remedy available to you is repayment of the cheque amount along with interest. Whereas, in a criminal complaint, the defaulter/drawer of the cheque can be punished with jail time of up to two years, and/or fine up to twice the amount of cheque.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Encash a cheque

Process of encashing a cheque depends on whether it is a bearer cheque or order cheque. There are multiple modes for the same.

Endorsing cheques

By endorsing the payee can use the same order cheque to pay to someone else by writing that person’s name behind the cheque and signing it.

Cheque Bouncing

A cheque is said to have been ‘bounced’ or ‘dishonoured‘ is when it is deposited or presented for payment but could not be encashed by the holder of the cheque.

Order Cheque

An order cheque is a cheque where only the person or party in whose name the cheque has been drawn, can withdraw the cash.

Cheque Truncation System

Cheque truncation is a form of cheque clearing system. It digitises a physical paper cheque into a substitute electronic form.

Crossed Cheque

Crossing a cheque means that it cannot be transferred to anyone else. These cheques can only be credited to the payee’s account.