Where to file a complaint to recover cheque amount?

Last updated on Jun 1, 2022

Complaint to Recover the Cheque Amount

Such a complaint is a civil complaint. In order to recover your money, you need to file a money suit either in the City Civil Court or the District Court depending on how much amount you are looking to recover.

You have to file this case within three years of the Cheque Return Memo.

For further assistance in filing a money suit, please contact a legal professional.

Complaint to Punish the Issuer of the Cheque

This is  known as a criminal complaint and can be filed before a magistrate where either:

For Crossed Cheques

In the area where your home branch is, i.e. branch of the bank where you have an account.

For Bearer or Order cheques

In the area where the branch of the drawee bank is, i.e. the bank from which the cheque was drawn on.

A criminal case cannot be initiated unless you have a Cheque Return Memo, hence the cheque needs to be deposited in the bank.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Encash a cheque

Process of encashing a cheque depends on whether it is a bearer cheque or order cheque. There are multiple modes for the same.

Endorsing cheques

By endorsing the payee can use the same order cheque to pay to someone else by writing that person’s name behind the cheque and signing it.

Cheque Bouncing

A cheque is said to have been ‘bounced’ or ‘dishonoured‘ is when it is deposited or presented for payment but could not be encashed by the holder of the cheque.

Order Cheque

An order cheque is a cheque where only the person or party in whose name the cheque has been drawn, can withdraw the cash.

Cheque Truncation System

Cheque truncation is a form of cheque clearing system. It digitises a physical paper cheque into a substitute electronic form.

Crossed Cheque

Crossing a cheque means that it cannot be transferred to anyone else. These cheques can only be credited to the payee’s account.