How can the guide help you?
The Nyaaya Guide on Applying for Legal Aid helps citizens understand how to obtain legal services free-of-cost from Legal Services Authorities in India. This includes information on online and offline application for legal aid along with eligibility criteria to request legal aid. It is important for the citizens to understand how to apply for legal aid so as to ensure that the opportunities for securing justice are not denied to any citizen by reason of economic or other disability.
What are the laws discussed in the guide?
The Nyaaya Guide on Application for Legal Aid discusses the law on legal aid outlined in the Constitution of India1, 1950, Code of Criminal Procedure, 19732, Code of Civil Procedure, 19083 and Legal Services Authorities Act, 1987.
- Check whether the applicant is eligible for free legal aid.
- Ensure the applicant has all the relevant documents required for seeking legal aid.
- Decide the mode in which application should be filed – online or offline.
- Look for the nearest Legal Services Authority if the offline mode is chosen.
- Approach the front office of the concerned Legal Services Authority to get the legal aid application form, to seek legal advice, to know status of the case and for any further legal assistance.
Sources of Information
- Claiming Free Legal Aid / Application Procedure, National Legal Services Authority, available at https://nalsa.gov.in/services/legal-aid/claiming-free-legal-aid-application-procedure
- Getting Started Guide, National Legal Services Authority, available at https://nalsa.gov.in/lsams/pdf/NALSA-Getting_Started_Guide_0.1.pdf
- Websites of State Legal Services Authorities, National Legal Services Authority, available at https://nalsa.gov.in/home
- Front Office Guidelines, National Legal Services Authority, available at https://nalsa.gov.in/acts-rules/guidelines/front-office-guidelines
- Legal Aid, Nyaaya, available at https://nyaaya.org/topic/legal-aid/
- FAQs, National Legal Services Authority, available at https://nalsa.gov.in/faqs
- The National Legal Services Authority (Free and Competent Legal Services) Regulations, 2010 available at https://nalsa.gov.in/acts-rules/regulations/national-legal-services-authority-f ree-and-competent-legal-services-regulations-2010