At what point will an FIR become a court case?

Based on the FIR that you file, the police will conduct an investigation. The result of that investigation will be submitted by the police to the Court in the form of a charge sheet. At this point the judge will decide on whether the person who is being accused is guilty or not. This is when the criminal case actually begins. To explore more on the process of charge sheet, read our explainer on Charge sheet.

Can I drive a motorcycle or a bike if I am 16 years old?

Any person above the age of 16 years can drive a motorcycle or a bike with an engine capacity not exceeding 50cc with a valid driving license. After attaining the age of 18 years, you can drive a bike with a higher engine capacity.

I have a license for a car, can I drive a truck?

No, your license is usually given for specific vehicle type. If you have a license for a car, you cannot drive a truck. For driving a truck you need a commercial driving license, which is given only to people above the age of 20.

If my car is towed away for parking in a no-parking zone, what can I do?

You will have to go to the nearest traffic police station/traffic police chowky/ traffic circle to find out where the car has been towed away to. You will have to pay the fine to the traffic police to get your vehicle released. The traffic police may ask for your documents (original or electronic), so make sure that you always have them with you.

What is an e- Challan?

An e-Challan is an electronic document. If you are stopped by a traffic police and you are issued an e-challan, you can go to this website and pay your fine online. The e-Challan information is available online in both Hindi and English.

Can I let my 15 year old son drive my car?

No, if you allow an underage person to drive your car, you will be punished under the provisions of the law on motor vehicles.

If any juvenile commits any offence under this law, the guardian of the juvenile or the owner of the motor vehicle will be punished, if he had knowledge that the offence was being committed(( Section 199A(1), The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.)). He will be punishable with jail time of 3 years and a fine of Rs. 25,000, and the registration of the motor vehicle can be cancelled for 12 months(( Section 199A(2)(4), The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.)). Furthermore, the juvenile will be punished under the provisions of the Juvenile Justice Act, 2000(( Section 199A(6), The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.)).