How can you file a complaint against domestic violence?

Last updated on Apr 8, 2022

[Trigger Warning: The following content contains information on domestic violence which some readers may find disturbing.]

You or anyone on your behalf, can approach the authorities listed below to file a complaint against any domestic violence that you have been facing:


Go to the Police Station 

You can approach the police station in your area, or any other police station, and file a complaint for domestic violence. The police will file a DIR/FIR and/or direct you to the Protection Officer of the district who will be able to help you out further.

Protection Officer

Approach the Protection Officer 

To file a complaint, the Protection Officer of the district will be the first point of contact for you. The Protection Officer will help you file a Domestic Incident Report (DIR), make applications to the Court to get you monetary relief, protection etc. A state-by-state list of Protection Officers is given here. If you cannot find the Protection Officer of your area, you can reach out to NGOs, civil society organizations and service providers who will put you in touch with one.

National and State Commissions for Women

Approach the National/State Commission for Women

National Commission for Women (NCW) is a national-level government organization that is empowered to investigate complaints related to issues faced by women, such as domestic violence, dowry harassment, rape, etc. The NCW will help you by:

  • Monitoring and expediting the investigations being led by the police.
  • Providing counselling or a hearing before the NCW, so that the dispute can be resolved between the two parties.
  • Constituting an Inquiry Committee which makes spot inquiries, examines witnesses, collects evidence and submits the report with recommendations regarding the domestic violence.

You can get in touch with them by either calling the helpline number 1091, or sending an email to or filing an online complaint. As the NCW is located in New Delhi, you can approach the State Commission of Women situated in your state, and ask them for help.

Some states provide handbooks for ASHA workers where you can find more information on forms on violence, where it can happen and how to file a complaint to seek protection against domestic violence. For example, see this handbook published for ASHA in Chattisgarh, Delhi, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh and Uttarakhand.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Who can seek Protection against Domestic Violence?

Any woman can file a complaint and seek protection against domestic violence under the law, for herself and her child/children. The religion of the woman does not matter.
Crimes and Violence

What is the Time Limit to Complain against Domestic Violence?

There is no specific time limit for filing a complaint against domestic violence, but you must be able to prove that you were in a domestic relationship with the harasser at the time the violence took place.
Crimes and Violence

How can you get Immediate Protection for Domestic Violence?

To seek immediate protection from domestic violence, you should file an application with the Court with the help of a Protection Officer or a lawyer.
Crimes and Violence

What is Counseling under Domestic Violence law?

Counseling refers to the provision of professional guidance by a counselor, who will help you and your harasser settle the matter of the domestic violence you have faced, furnish a guarantee that violence will not repeat, and come up with the best possible solution to the problem of domestic violence.
Crimes and Violence

What is domestic violence?

Domestic violence refers to violent or abusive behavior in a household that causes harm and may put the health and safety of a woman or any child under her custody in danger.
Crimes and Violence

What is a Shared Household ?

You live in a shared household with your harasser if you lived with the harasser, have a domestic relationship with the harasser and have/do not have a legal share in the house.
Crimes and Violence