Who can You Complain against for Domestic Violence?

Last updated on Apr 8, 2022

You can complain against both men and women for domestic violence. You can complain against the following:

  • Your family: You can complain about your family, if they are subjecting you to domestic violence, in the following circumstances:
    • If you are related to the harasser by blood, you can file a case against them. For example, your father, brother, etc.
    • If you are related to your harasser by marriage, you can file a case against them, such as your in-laws, husband, etc.
    • If you are related to your harasser by virtue of living together as a joint family, you can file a case against them. For example, your grandmother, uncle, adopted brother, etc. However, you can complain only against those who were complicit in the violence.(( Ashish Dixit v. State of UP & Anr. (2013) 4 SCC 176.)) For example, if you live in a joint family with ten people, and only your mother-in-law and husband subjected you to violence, you can complain only against them.
  • Your live-in partner: If your live-in partner hurts or abuses you, you can file a complaint against him.
  • Minors: You can complain against a minor who is subjecting you to domestic violence.(( Hiral P. Harsora v. Kusum Narottamdas Harsora (2016) 10 SCC 165.)) For example, if a 16 year old boy in your family is physically hurting you, then you can file a complaint for domestic violence.

While going to Court, keep in mind that you must have been subjected to domestic violence by someone with whom you have shared not only a domestic relationship but also shared a household.

Some states provide handbooks for ASHA workers where you can find more information on forms on violence and how to file a complaint to seek protection against domestic violence. For example, see this handbook published for ASHA in Chattisgarh, Delhi, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh and Uttarakhand.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Who can seek Protection against Domestic Violence?

Any woman can file a complaint and seek protection against domestic violence under the law, for herself and her child/children. The religion of the woman does not matter.
Crimes and Violence

What is the Time Limit to Complain against Domestic Violence?

There is no specific time limit for filing a complaint against domestic violence, but you must be able to prove that you were in a domestic relationship with the harasser at the time the violence took place.
Crimes and Violence

How can you get Immediate Protection for Domestic Violence?

To seek immediate protection from domestic violence, you should file an application with the Court with the help of a Protection Officer or a lawyer.
Crimes and Violence

What is Counseling under Domestic Violence law?

Counseling refers to the provision of professional guidance by a counselor, who will help you and your harasser settle the matter of the domestic violence you have faced, furnish a guarantee that violence will not repeat, and come up with the best possible solution to the problem of domestic violence.
Crimes and Violence

What is domestic violence?

Domestic violence refers to violent or abusive behavior in a household that causes harm and may put the health and safety of a woman or any child under her custody in danger.
Crimes and Violence

What is a Shared Household ?

You live in a shared household with your harasser if you lived with the harasser, have a domestic relationship with the harasser and have/do not have a legal share in the house.
Crimes and Violence