Are Live In Relationships covered under Domestic Violence law?

Last updated on Apr 8, 2022

[Trigger Warning: The following content contains information on domestic violence which some readers may find disturbing.]

You are in a live-in-relationship if you cohabit, i.e.  share a house with your partner without marrying him or her. It is considered a domestic relationship between an unmarried adult woman and an unmarried adult male who live or, at any point of time lived together in a shared household(( Indra Sarma v. V.K.V. Sarma (2013) 15 SCC 755.)). Unlike a marriage, a live-in relationship is not legally regulated.. For example, you do not have to register the relationship, and  to end a live-in relationship, a divorce is not required, and you may end it in any manner you see fit.

A live-in relationships are considered valid under the law only if it is in the “nature of marriage” i.e. the relationship has some essential characteristics of a marriage, even if it is not legally recognized as a marriage. The courts, while pronouncing judgments on live-in relationships, compare them to marriages to  determine whether the relationship has the characteristics of a regular marriage(( Indra Sarma v. V.K.V. Sarma (2013) 15 SCC 755.)).

Courts, through various cases(( Revanasiddappa v. Mallikarjun (2011) 11 SCC 1.)), have laid down the conditions for live-in relationships to  be considered as relationships in the “nature of marriage”(( Badri Prasad v. Director of Consolidation  (1978) 3 SCC 527.)). These are:

Duration of the Relationship

You and your partner must have voluntarily cohabited for a significant period of time, like months or years in a shared household. A few weeks,a weekend or a one night stand,  does not count as a live-in relationship.

Socialisation in Public

You and your partner should be socialising publicly with friends, relatives and others, as if you and your partner are husband and wife .

Age and Marital Status 

You and your partner should be able to qualify to enter into marriage i.e.neither  of you should have a spouse at the time of entering into the relationship, and both of you should be above the legally valid age of marriage i.e. 18 years.

Sexual Relationship

You and your partner must have a sexual relationship that includes emotional and intimate support2.

Financial Arrangement 

You and your partner have a financial arrangement similar to that of a husband and wife. For example, you have pooled in your resources together or financially support each other, such as through shared bank accounts, assets in joint names, long term business investments, etc.

Domestic Arrangement

If one of you, especially the woman, is entrusted with the responsibility to run the household and do domestic work – cleaning, cooking, upkeep of the house, etc. then this is a domestic arrangement similar to a marriage.

Intention and conduct of the parties

Common intention of the parties as to what their relationship is and their respective roles and responsibilities, primarily determines the nature of that relationship.


Having children is a strong indication that the nature of the relationship is similar to that of a marriage, and that the participants have a long-term orientation towards the relationship.

If the criteria given above are not met, then your relationship will not be a live-in relationship recognized by Courts.

Some states provide handbooks for ASHA workers where you can find more information on forms on violence, where it can happen and how to file a complaint to seek protection against domestic violence. For example, see this handbook published for ASHA in Chattisgarh, Delhi, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh and Uttarakhand.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Who can seek Protection against Domestic Violence?

Any woman can file a complaint and seek protection against domestic violence under the law, for herself and her child/children. The religion of the woman does not matter.
Crimes and Violence

What is the Time Limit to Complain against Domestic Violence?

There is no specific time limit for filing a complaint against domestic violence, but you must be able to prove that you were in a domestic relationship with the harasser at the time the violence took place.
Crimes and Violence

How can you get Immediate Protection for Domestic Violence?

To seek immediate protection from domestic violence, you should file an application with the Court with the help of a Protection Officer or a lawyer.
Crimes and Violence

What is Counseling under Domestic Violence law?

Counseling refers to the provision of professional guidance by a counselor, who will help you and your harasser settle the matter of the domestic violence you have faced, furnish a guarantee that violence will not repeat, and come up with the best possible solution to the problem of domestic violence.
Crimes and Violence

What is domestic violence?

Domestic violence refers to violent or abusive behavior in a household that causes harm and may put the health and safety of a woman or any child under her custody in danger.
Crimes and Violence

What is a Shared Household ?

You live in a shared household with your harasser if you lived with the harasser, have a domestic relationship with the harasser and have/do not have a legal share in the house.
Crimes and Violence