Reporting Rape

Last updated on Apr 8, 2022


  1. If an offence of rape is committed, the first and most important thing to do is to report it to the police by filing a First Information Report (FIR).(( Section 154, Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973.)) Otherwise, call 1091 (Women’s Helpline Number) and report the rape. Even if someone does not report the crime right away, this does not mean that the delayed FIR will harm the case. It may become more difficult for the police to carry out the investigation and gather evidence, but it is possible to file an FIR at a later date as well.
  2. To file an FIR, visit the nearest police station. The police station does not necessarily have to be in the area where the crime has been committed. To locate the police station, download the ‘Indian Police at your Call’ app and locate the nearest police station. Otherwise, call 100.
  3. Approaching the police immediately after being assaulted can be very daunting for the survivor. However, the survivor doesn’t have to do this alone. The woman can take the help of a friend or approach a lawyer to assist her in filing a complaint. In fact, another person can file the FIR for the woman if she doesn’t want to approach the police by herself.(( Hallu and Others v. State of Madhya Pradesh, 1974 AIR 1936.)) If the survivor approaches the police with her complaint, the information is recorded only by a woman officer.(( Proviso to Section 154, Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973.))
  4. If the survivor is physically or mentally disabled, the police come and take her complaint from her residence or any other place where she feels comfortable.(( Proviso (a), Section 154, Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973.)) The survivor’s statement is recorded at her residence or in any place of her choice. As far as possible, the statement is recorded by a woman police officer in the presence of the survivor’s parents/guardian/near relatives/ social worker of the locality.(( Proviso to Section 157(1), Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973.))
  5. It is perfectly alright if the survivor does not remember specific details of the assault or even the attacker. It is enough if she tells the police as many details as she remembers.
  6. Once the police have read out the complaint, if all the details are correct, the complainant signs the FIR.(( Section 154(1), Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973.)) Any police officer who refuses to file the FIR or fails to record information of the offence is punishable with imprisonment for six months to two years, along with a fine.(( Section 166A(c), Indian Penal Code, 1860.))
  7. The complainant can get a copy of the FIR for free.(( Section 154(2), Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973.)) It is also possible to freely access the FIR online using the FIR number, date of FIR and the name of the police station.
  8. After the FIR has been registered, the contents of it cannot be changed. However, additional information can be given to the police later on at any point.

One Stop Centres

A survivor can also approach One Stop Centres, which provide an integrated range of services to women affected by violence. These services include medical aid, police assistance, legal aid/case management, psycho-social counseling and temporary support services.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Custodial Harassment of LGBTQ+ Persons by Police

If you are arrested, you will be in the custody of the police at the police station for 24 hours, till they take you to the nearest Magistrate (Court). They can keep you for 15 more days only if they get the permission of the Magistrate.
Crimes and Violence

Arrest Without Warrant

There are certain crimes for which the police can arrest you without a warrant. Such crimes are known in law as cognizable offences. These crimes are usually of serious nature such as rape, murder, assault etc.

Rape of LGBTQ+ Persons

When a man has sexual intercourse with you, without your consent, it is considered to be rape under the law. Currently, under the law, only women or trans women can be victims of rape or sexual violence and can only file it against a man.
Crimes and Violence

FIRs filed for Women Related Offences

The information related to acid attacks and sexual offences has to be registered by a woman police officer or any other woman officer.

Seeking Medical Help

Survivors have the right to get immediate and free first-aid or medical treatment from medical institutions (both public and private). The institution must also inform the police of the criminal incident.
Crimes and Violence

Protecting the Identity of the Survivor

No one is allowed to print or publish the name or any matter which may reveal the identity of a survivor. The punishment for doing so is imprisonment for up to two years and a fine.
Crimes and Violence