Rape of LGBTQ+ Persons

Last updated on Apr 8, 2022

When a man has sexual intercourse with you, without your consent, it is considered to be rape under the law.

Currently, under the law, only women or trans women can be victims of rape or sexual violence and can only file it against a man.

If you are a man/trans man who was forced to have sexual intercourse, you will not be able to file a complaint for rape or any other form of sexual violence. Instead, your alternative will be to file a complaint stating that you were hurt or injured.

Rape and Gang Rape

  • If you want to file a complaint against anyone who has committed the act of rape, you will have to file an FIR with the police with the help of Section 375/376 of the Indian Penal Code, 1860.
  • If the act of rape has been committed by a group of people, each of them will be punished for committing the crime of gang rape. You will have to file an FIR with the help of Section 376D of the Indian Penal Code, 1860.

Rape by a Person of Authority

If a man has some form of control over a woman because of his position or job, and uses this control to forces her have sex with him, it is the crime of rape under the law.  For example, if a male police officer rapes you while you are in custody, then you have a right to complain against the officer and file an FIR.

Some of the persons of authority include public servants or jail staff or on the management of the hospital, etc. You will have to file an FIR with the help of Section 376 of the Indian Penal Code, 1860.

It does not matter if you don’t know the details of the person who raped you. You should still file a complaint so that the police can carry out an investigation to prevent him from committing the same crime again. You can also file a complaint against a family member, teacher, etc. who has raped you. You can request someone else to file the FIR on your behalf also. If the police does not register your FIR, read this to understand the alternative steps you can take.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Love and Relationships for LGBTQ+

Anyone above the age of 18, has the right to love and have consensual sexual relationships with anyone that they wish to irrespective of their sexual orientation or gender identity.
Crimes and Violence

Guide on the Rights of Transgender Persons in India

This Guide discusses the general provisions in the Constitution of India, the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019 and the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Rules, 2020.
citizen rights icon

Are Live In Relationships covered under Domestic Violence law?

You are in a live-in-relationship if you cohabit, i.e.  share a house with your partner without marrying him or her. It is considered a domestic relationship between an unmarried adult woman and an unmarried adult male who live or, at any point of time lived together in a shared household.
Crimes and Violence

What are the rights of LGBTQ+ persons with respect to mental health?

Being an LGBTQ+ person does not make someone mentally ill. However, in India, an LGBTQ+ have some rights with respect to mental health.

Who can seek Protection against Domestic Violence?

Any woman can file a complaint and seek protection against domestic violence under the law, for herself and her child/children. The religion of the woman does not matter.
Crimes and Violence

What are the options if there is discrimination and harassment by medical personnel against LGBTQ+ persons?

LGBTQ+ persons may face harassment or discrimination by medical personnel and a person can take appropriate action in such cases.