Online abuse happens on various platforms on the internet – social media, chat forums, etc. When faced with online abuse, your first step should be to see what the policy of the platform where the abuse is happening, and what steps the platform recommends for you to stop it.
You can complain to social media forums or platforms regardless of your gender or your sexual orientation and you can complain against anyone, but this policy differs across platforms so you should read the complaint policy of the platform you are facing abuse on.
You may face situations where someone is trying to out your sexual orientation or gender identity without your permission. You can take immediate action by blocking or reporting them. If you are being harassed with calls or texts on your phone, you can block them on your phone itself.
If the administrators of the platform are not being responsive or the kind of harassment you are facing is severe and repetitive, then you can also file a complaint at the local police station or cyber cell only if you are a woman/trans-woman. If you are a man/trans-man, you will be able to file an FIR with the laws which punish those who hurt or injure you.
You can complain if the following happens to you:
- If your account has been taken over without your permission or someone has unauthorized access to your account.
- If someone has stolen your identity online by using your password or your digital signature etc.
- If someone is causing trouble for you online if they are impersonating or pretending to be you or someone else.
Violation of Privacy
- If someone is using personal pictures/videos of you and sharing it online without your permission.
- If some is stalking you or monitoring your activity online.
- If someone is photoshopping your pictures online.
- If someone is blackmailing you online for money or favors.
Abusive Threats and Language
- If someone is sharing obscene material with you or sexually harassing you online.
- If someone is insulting you or using abusive language against you.
- If you are facing anonymous threats from someone.
If someone is threatening to hurt you by giving physical threats against you online.