What is the Role of a Protection Officer?

Last updated on Apr 8, 2022

[Trigger Warning: The following content contains information on domestic violence which some readers may find disturbing.]

If you decide to file a domestic violence complaint, a Protection Officer (PO) is generally the first point of contact for you. Anyone, including someone you know, can visit, call, or write to a Protection officer in your district or an area nearby to complain against the violence and seek protection. To find a PO, you can:

  • Go to the nearest police station and ask them to put you in touch with a PO.
  • Call or go to the Department of Women and Child Development in your district.
  • Approach the National/State Women Commission. A state-by-state list of Protection Officers is available here.
  • Approach an NGO or a service provider.

Your complaint will be written down by the PO and you can ask for a free copy of this complaint to keep with you. Protection officers will help you(( Section 9, The Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005.)):

File a complaint

The PO will help you file a Domestic Incident Report 2(DIR) which is a special report for cases of domestic violence which will have all the details of the harasser(s), the details of the victims, etc. They will also help you file a direct complaint with the Court and assist you in getting legal support.

Give Information to the police

The PO will forward a copy of the DIR as well as a copy of the medical report, if you were medically examined, to the police station located within the area where you faced violence. After this, the police will look into the matter and stop the harasser(s) from committing any acts of violence towards you(( Section 5, The Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005.)).

Provide immediate protection and support

The PO will help:

  • Prepare a safety plan for you which will specify the measures required for your safety, and the orders you are seeking from the Court.
  • Get you and/or your child medical aid from a medical facility in case you have any injuries.
  • Put you in touch with service providers who will assist you with legal support, counseling, medical facilities, shelter homes, etc.

Inform you of your legal rights

The PO will discuss with you the different kinds of domestic violence with you to understand what you have been through. This will be recorded in the DIR. Afterwards, the PO will inform you of the rights and remedies you are entitled to under the law after filing a complaint.

Support you through Court processes

Protection Officers will:

  • Help you gain access to free legal aid through the District Legal Aid Services Authority.
  • Ensure that you and your children are not victimised or pressurised during the Court proceedings by the harasser.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Who can seek Protection against Domestic Violence?

Any woman can file a complaint and seek protection against domestic violence under the law, for herself and her child/children. The religion of the woman does not matter.
Crimes and Violence

What is the Time Limit to Complain against Domestic Violence?

There is no specific time limit for filing a complaint against domestic violence, but you must be able to prove that you were in a domestic relationship with the harasser at the time the violence took place.
Crimes and Violence

How can you get Immediate Protection for Domestic Violence?

To seek immediate protection from domestic violence, you should file an application with the Court with the help of a Protection Officer or a lawyer.
Crimes and Violence

What is Counseling under Domestic Violence law?

Counseling refers to the provision of professional guidance by a counselor, who will help you and your harasser settle the matter of the domestic violence you have faced, furnish a guarantee that violence will not repeat, and come up with the best possible solution to the problem of domestic violence.
Crimes and Violence

What is domestic violence?

Domestic violence refers to violent or abusive behavior in a household that causes harm and may put the health and safety of a woman or any child under her custody in danger.
Crimes and Violence

What is a Shared Household ?

You live in a shared household with your harasser if you lived with the harasser, have a domestic relationship with the harasser and have/do not have a legal share in the house.
Crimes and Violence