What should I consider when I am selling a house or land?

Last updated on Jun 7, 2022

If you are planning to sell a property, one of the most critical factors you must consider during the sale is the process of registering the transaction.

Registering the Sale

Registering the transaction or sale is beneficial for both parties since it means that the government recognizes the transfer of property from the seller to the buyer. In India, all individuals must register((  The Registration Act, 1908.)) the sale of an immovable property for which the transaction costs exceed Rs.100. Since the cost of land or a house is much higher, this effectively implies that sale of such a property must be registered. Furthermore, all transactions involving gift of an immovable property, as well as lease for a period exceeding 12 months also need to be registered.

Disclosure of Information

As a seller, it is important to ensure that the transaction is carried out with absolute honesty and in full agreement with the buyer. This is necessary to ensure that there is no conflict or dispute that arises over the transaction in the future. When the buyer shows an interest in the land or house you wish to sell, you, as the seller, must:

  • Disclose to the buyer any material defect in the property of which you are aware but of which the buyer is not aware, and which the buyer cannot ordinarily discover.
  • Make available all the relevant documents to the buyer for examination, including all documents of title relating to the property.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Can I purchase a foreclosed property?

Foreclosed properties are generally expected to be auctioned off at rates lower than their true market values.

Who do you complain to if there has been an issue related to buying or selling property?

You can approach the court to raise disputes over land and property for various reasons including claim on ownership etc

Types of Consumer Complaints

Complaints may be filed regarding e-services, misleading advertisements, restrictive trade practices, spurious/defective goods, food etc.

What is a Residence Order under Domestic Violence law?

If you are being thrown out of your shared household (house) by your harasser, the Court can issue a residence order in such a case.
Crimes and Violence

What should I consider when I am buying a house or land?

Two aspects to consider when buying a land or house, is knowing whether price of house is fair and dispute free ownership.

Can I get a bank loan to buy a property using the same property as the collateral?

Yes. You can get a loan from the bank to purchase an immovable property by using the same property as the collateral/security.