According to section 6(4) of the FEMA, a person resident in India can hold, own, transfer or invest in any immovable property situated outside India if such property was acquired, held or owned by them when they were resident outside India or inherited from a person resident outside India.

Who can buy and/or receive immovable property?

Last updated on Jun 7, 2022

Any citizen of India aged 18+ is eligible to buy property in the country. However, certain states such as Maharashtra, Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, Karnataka, North-eastern states like Assam, Nagaland, Sikkim, among a few others, restrict non-farmers from purchasing agricultural land. Under Indian law, an unborn person can also receive immovable property((  Section 13 of the  Transfer of Property Act, 1882.)).

If you’re a Non-Resident Indian (NRI) or Person of Indian Origin (PIO), you cannot purchase agricultural land/plantation property or a farmhouse anywhere in India, but there’s no such restriction when it comes to residential properties. However, you can inherit such land from a resident Indian or other NRIs/PIOs upon receiving special permission from the Reserve Bank of India.(( RBI Master Circular on “Acquisition and Transfer of Immovable Property in India by NRIs/PIOs/Foreign Nationals of Non-Indian Origin”,Accessed at:

Individuals and companies can also acquire immovable property and this is governed by the Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999 and various circulars notified by the RBI from time to time.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Can I purchase a foreclosed property?

Foreclosed properties are generally expected to be auctioned off at rates lower than their true market values.

Who do you complain to if there has been an issue related to buying or selling property?

You can approach the court to raise disputes over land and property for various reasons including claim on ownership etc

Types of Consumer Complaints

Complaints may be filed regarding e-services, misleading advertisements, restrictive trade practices, spurious/defective goods, food etc.

What is a Residence Order under Domestic Violence law?

If you are being thrown out of your shared household (house) by your harasser, the Court can issue a residence order in such a case.
Crimes and Violence

What should I consider when I am buying a house or land?

Two aspects to consider when buying a land or house, is knowing whether price of house is fair and dispute free ownership.

Can I get a bank loan to buy a property using the same property as the collateral?

Yes. You can get a loan from the bank to purchase an immovable property by using the same property as the collateral/security.