Locking Up LGBTQ+ Persons

Last updated on May 3, 2022

If you are being obstructed from leaving a place or you are confined inside a particular area, for example, you are locked inside a room, then you are being detained illegally under the law.  This is known as wrongful confinement and anyone confining you may face jail time up to 1 year and/or a fine of Rs. 1000.

If your family forcibly confines you inside the house to prevent you from being with your partner, or out of anger for expressing your newly identified gender or sexual orientation, this is a crime under the law and no one can forcibly confine you against your will as it violates your liberty and freedom of movement.(( Shivani Bhat v State NCT of Delhi  223(2015)DLT391.))

Contact People to Help You

To get out of such a situation and to get immediate help, you can call:

  • Helplines who will send police officers or guide you on immediate steps to take.
  • NGOs who will be able to free you from such situations.
  • Close and trusted family and friends.

File a Complaint

You can approach the nearest police station regardless of your gender identity or sexual orientation and file an FIR against anyone who has locked you up or confined you wrongfully. You will have to file an FIR with the help of Section 340/342 of the Indian Penal Code, 1860.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Love and Relationships for LGBTQ+

Anyone above the age of 18, has the right to love and have consensual sexual relationships with anyone that they wish to irrespective of their sexual orientation or gender identity.
Crimes and Violence

Guide on the Rights of Transgender Persons in India

This Guide discusses the general provisions in the Constitution of India, the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019 and the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Rules, 2020.
citizen rights icon

Are Live In Relationships covered under Domestic Violence law?

You are in a live-in-relationship if you cohabit, i.e.  share a house with your partner without marrying him or her. It is considered a domestic relationship between an unmarried adult woman and an unmarried adult male who live or, at any point of time lived together in a shared household.
Crimes and Violence

What are the rights of LGBTQ+ persons with respect to mental health?

Being an LGBTQ+ person does not make someone mentally ill. However, in India, an LGBTQ+ have some rights with respect to mental health.

Who can seek Protection against Domestic Violence?

Any woman can file a complaint and seek protection against domestic violence under the law, for herself and her child/children. The religion of the woman does not matter.
Crimes and Violence

What are the options if there is discrimination and harassment by medical personnel against LGBTQ+ persons?

LGBTQ+ persons may face harassment or discrimination by medical personnel and a person can take appropriate action in such cases.