How do I address a land measurement dispute?

Last updated on Jun 7, 2022

If there is a dispute between owners who have land next to each other about the measurements of their plots, they can resolve it by getting assistance from the government surveyor to conduct a joint survey. The ownership documents and the information in the revenue records have to be looked into while settling such a dispute. You can find them in the Record of Rights (RoR) at your local tehsildar’s office or online, if the state has digitized RoRs available. Any encroachment by one party on the land of another has to be removed. For instance, such encroachments may consist of building a fence that trespasses into another’s property, extending a building beyond one’s own property boundaries, overhanging tree branch protruding into neighbors’ property which could potentially cause injury/damage, etc.

If that is not done, the aggrieved party can go to court.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

If I have a dispute with someone about land or other immovable property, which court should I approach?

The location of your property is one of the main considerations in deciding which court you should approach to resolve property disputes.

What are the different kinds of disputes with respect to land and immoveable property?

Since land is considered to be one of the most important assets, the range of land-related disputes is huge.

What are Partition disputes and how are they resolved?

Partition disputes refer to disputes around dividing the property of a Hindu Undivided Family as per the Hindu Succession Act 1956.

What are inheritance rights?

When it comes to immovable property, inheritance refers to the transfer of a property’s ownership after the death of an individual.

What should I consider when I am buying a house or land?

Two aspects to consider when buying a land or house, is knowing whether price of house is fair and dispute free ownership.

What should I do if someone encroaches on my property?

If someone encroaches or trespasses on your property or a construction extends beyond the boundary line, there are legal ways to resolve it.