Property disputes constitute around 66% of pending cases in various lower courts in India and approximately 30% of judicial pendency in the Supreme Court.

If I have a dispute with someone about land or other immovable property, which court should I approach?

Last updated on Jun 7, 2022

The location of your property is one of the main considerations in deciding which court you should approach to file a suit about immovable property(( Under Section 16 of the Civil Procedure Code, suits for various disputes relating to immovable property must be instituted in the Court within the local limits of whose jurisdiction the property is situated)). The court must have jurisdiction over the place where the disputed property is situated. If a property is located across jurisdictional boundaries of more than one court, the suit can be filed in any of those courts(( Section 17 of the Civil Procedure Code)). Please consult a lawyer before taking such steps.

Besides approaching courts, disputes can be settled with the help of Lok Adalats. This is an alternate dispute resolution mechanism recognized under the Legal Services Authorities Act, 1987.

Lok Adalats are a forum where disputes/cases pending in the court of law or at pre-litigation stage, like land and property disputes, are settled/ compromised amicably. The decision of the Lok Adalat is final and binding; there is no provision for appeal. However, if the party is unsatisfied with the award, they can initiate the litigation process.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

What are the different kinds of disputes with respect to land and immoveable property?

Since land is considered to be one of the most important assets, the range of land-related disputes is huge.

What are Partition disputes and how are they resolved?

Partition disputes refer to disputes around dividing the property of a Hindu Undivided Family as per the Hindu Succession Act 1956.

What are inheritance rights?

When it comes to immovable property, inheritance refers to the transfer of a property’s ownership after the death of an individual.

How do I address a land measurement dispute?

Land measurement disputes can be resolved by getting assistance from the government surveyor to conduct a joint survey.

What should I consider when I am buying a house or land?

Two aspects to consider when buying a land or house, is knowing whether price of house is fair and dispute free ownership.

What should I do if someone encroaches on my property?

If someone encroaches or trespasses on your property or a construction extends beyond the boundary line, there are legal ways to resolve it.