Complaining/Reporting Problems by LGBTQ+ Persons

Last updated on Apr 8, 2022

You can file a complaint with any of these authorities/forums:


Go to Police Station

You can file an FIR at any police station or the one nearest to you. A friend or relative can also file an FIR on your behalf. If you are a woman or a trans woman, your statement will be recorded by a female police officer.

Call 100

You can call on 100 to seek immediate help from the police. After describing your location, a police unit will be sent to you for further assistance.

National and State Commissions in India

These are forums you can approach if you face any difficulties or resistance from the police if they refuse to file your FIR:

National/State Human Rights Commission

The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC)(( Core Group on LGBTQ+ Issues: is a national level government body which specifically looks into human rights violations, such as illegal detention, harassment in jail, etc. As a LGBTQ+ person, you can also approach them if you require help, if the police are not being cooperative.

Since the NHRC is located in New Delhi, you can also approach the State Human Rights Commission (SHRC) in your state to get immediate help. You can complain to the NHRC or SHRC regardless of your gender or sexual orientation.

You can contact NHRC here and complain if you have faced any harassment or discrimination.

National/State Commission for Women

The National Commission for Women (NCW) is a national level government organization that works in the protection of women from violence such as sexual crimes, domestic violence, etc. The NCW will help you by:

  • Providing you and your harasser counseling or an opportunity to be heard so that the dispute is resolved and the incident is not repeated again.
  • Instituting an inquiry committee in serious cases which would make spot inquiries, examine the witnesses, collect evidence and submit a report to give you immediate relief and protection.

You can get in touch with them only if you are a woman or a trans woman by either calling the helpline number 1091, or sending an email to or filing an online complaint.

You can also approach the Women’s Commission in your state to get immediate help.

Online Crime Reporting

You can complain with the Cyber Cell or the police in your state against online crimes. Read here to understand in detail the options that you have to report and complain against online harassment and violence.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Love and Relationships for LGBTQ+

Anyone above the age of 18, has the right to love and have consensual sexual relationships with anyone that they wish to irrespective of their sexual orientation or gender identity.
Crimes and Violence

Guide on the Rights of Transgender Persons in India

This Guide discusses the general provisions in the Constitution of India, the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019 and the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Rules, 2020.
citizen rights icon

Are Live In Relationships covered under Domestic Violence law?

You are in a live-in-relationship if you cohabit, i.e.  share a house with your partner without marrying him or her. It is considered a domestic relationship between an unmarried adult woman and an unmarried adult male who live or, at any point of time lived together in a shared household.
Crimes and Violence

What are the rights of LGBTQ+ persons with respect to mental health?

Being an LGBTQ+ person does not make someone mentally ill. However, in India, an LGBTQ+ have some rights with respect to mental health.

Who can seek Protection against Domestic Violence?

Any woman can file a complaint and seek protection against domestic violence under the law, for herself and her child/children. The religion of the woman does not matter.
Crimes and Violence

What are the options if there is discrimination and harassment by medical personnel against LGBTQ+ persons?

LGBTQ+ persons may face harassment or discrimination by medical personnel and a person can take appropriate action in such cases.