Who (LGBTQ+) can File a Complaint

Last updated on Apr 8, 2022

If you are facing harassment and violence, some of the laws you can use while filing a complaint are based on your gender identity.(( It is the intrinsic sense of being a male, female, transgender or trans sexual person.)) Since there are only three recognized categories(( Navtej and NALSA)) under the law which are ‘male’, ‘female’ and ‘third gender’ (transgender persons), the laws that apply to you also depend on which category you fall under.

It will be helpful for you if you know what laws can help you while filing an FIR. You can take the help of lawyers and NGOs so that you do not face harassment by police officers.

The question of whether or not you can file a complaint under the law will be dependent on the type of violence you have faced:

Sexual Violence

Sexual Violence may be of various kinds like rape or sexual crimes such as inappropriate touching, stalking etc. As per the law, you can only file a complaint with the police if you are a woman. Even though trans women, regardless of whether they have had a gender affirming surgery or not, have a right(( NALSA 55,112, Anamika v. Union of India, WP (CRL) 2537/2018.)) to file an FIR, if you face any trouble while registering your FIR, it is better to take the help of a lawyer to prevent any harassment or violence by the police. Men or trans men cannot be victims of sexual violence under the law, so the alternative for you is to file an FIR with the laws on physical violence as explained below.

Physical Violence

If you have been injured or hurt or someone has locked you up or physically prevents you from carrying on your day-to-day activities, then you can file an FIR against your harasser if you are a man, woman or transgender person. 

Psychological Violence

If someone threatens to hurt you, blackmails you for favors or money then you can file an FIR against your harasser if you are a man, woman or transgender person.

Online Violence

You can complain against any form of online harassment and violence which may be sexual, psychological or computer related crimes such as hacking, impersonation etc.  if you are a man, woman or transgender person.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a question you want to ask our legal experts?

Related Resources

Love and Relationships for LGBTQ+

Anyone above the age of 18, has the right to love and have consensual sexual relationships with anyone that they wish to irrespective of their sexual orientation or gender identity.
Crimes and Violence

Guide on the Rights of Transgender Persons in India

This Guide discusses the general provisions in the Constitution of India, the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019 and the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Rules, 2020.
citizen rights icon

Are Live In Relationships covered under Domestic Violence law?

You are in a live-in-relationship if you cohabit, i.e.  share a house with your partner without marrying him or her. It is considered a domestic relationship between an unmarried adult woman and an unmarried adult male who live or, at any point of time lived together in a shared household.
Crimes and Violence

What are the rights of LGBTQ+ persons with respect to mental health?

Being an LGBTQ+ person does not make someone mentally ill. However, in India, an LGBTQ+ have some rights with respect to mental health.

Who can seek Protection against Domestic Violence?

Any woman can file a complaint and seek protection against domestic violence under the law, for herself and her child/children. The religion of the woman does not matter.
Crimes and Violence

What are the options if there is discrimination and harassment by medical personnel against LGBTQ+ persons?

LGBTQ+ persons may face harassment or discrimination by medical personnel and a person can take appropriate action in such cases.